Share this story
Trekking Summer Camp on Dayara Bugyal | For children between 10-15 years
Category Experiential Learning
By Latika Payak
We have received an overwhelming response to the Summer Camps. All our groups from April to June are filled! Yet, requests from parents are still pouring in.
So we have launched another group in June 2023!
Here are the details
Dates: June 10th to June 19th
Fee: Rs 20,500 + GST
Location: Dayara Bugyal trek
Age group: For children between 10-15 years
What happens on a Summer Camp?
On the trekking summer camp, children go on a trekking adventure and climb a high summit in the Himalayas. Over the period of 10 days, they trek from camp to camp — backpacks on their shoulders, trekking poles in their hands — and explore the outdoors at close quarters.
Not only do they go on a trek, but the program is also designed to impart rare life skills. We bring these learnings through methods of experiential learning. These life skills are otherwise difficult to imbibe in regular school life.
This Summer Camp is being conducted at the Dayara Bugyal trek.
Dayara Bugyal is our best trek for children. Demanding just the right amount of effort from children, it takes them through a variety of sceneries. Lovely oak and maple forests in the first section, endless alpine meadows in the next and high summits surrounding them at the top. These mountains capture their imagination with rich history and mythology.
This is how the itinerary would look like:
DAY 1: Travel from Delhi to Rishikesh
Pickup from Delhi between 11am and 12pm. Drive to Rishikesh in organised bus. Stay overnight at Rishikesh.
DAY 2: Drive from Rishikesh to Raithal
Departure time: 6.30 am | Approx arrival at Raithal: 3-4 pm
Reach the Indiahikes community campus at Raithal by vehicle (Non-AC).
DAY 3: Trek from Raithal to Gui
Trek Distance: 6 km | Trek Duration: 5-6 hours | Altitude Gain: 7,142 ft to 9,630 ft
DAY 4: Trek from Gui to Chilapada
Trek Distance: 2 km | Trek Duration: 2-3 hours | Altitude Gain: 9,630 ft to 10,515 ft
DAY 5: Explore the forests around Chilapada
Participate in bird watching and nature journaling.
DAY 6: Trek from Chilpada to Nayata via Dayara Top
Trek Distance: 9.25 km | Trek Duration: 6-7 hours | Altitude Gain and Loss: 10,515 ft to 9,186 ft via 11,950 ft
DAY 7: Explore the forests around Nayata
DAY 8: Trek from Nayata to Raithal
Trek Distance: 4 km | Trek Duration: 5-6 hours | Altitude Loss: 9,186 ft to 7,142 ft
DAY 9: Drive back from Raithal to Rishikesh. Onward to New Delhi the same night.
The drive from Raithal to Rishikesh will be in a non AC vehicle. From Rishikesh to Delhi it will be in an organised bus.
DAY 10: Reach Delhi by 6 am
Indiahikes Chaperone Services for onward and/or return journey
If you are unable to bring your child till Delhi airport, you may send your child along with an Indiahikes Chaperone. We have dedicated chaperones leaving from Mumbai and Bangalore on designated dates. You'll find more details about it at the end of this page.
View how to reach the basecamp section for more details.
Top Skills Children Learn from the Trekking Summer Camp
Trekking and Camping Skills
Our summer camps are a mix of fun, adventure and learning. Through the course of the trek and the program design, children learn the basics of trekking, camping and wilderness survival.
- Building a shelter out of bare minimum resources
- First aid skills through mock drills
- Navigation skills using maps and GPS tools
- Skills to identify and set up campsites in the outdoors
- Cooking in the wild
- Learning to cross streams
Given that children are in the heart of some of the richest biodiversity in our country, they learn first-hand about forests, plants, birdlife, animals and all natural elements around them.
- See and feel the rich biodiversity of Himalayan forests
- Learn about birdlife and animals endemic to the region
- Learn about the stars and the Milky Way by experiencing it in real-life
- Nature journaling
- Experiencing the forest
- Witness big Himalayan ranges at close quarters and learn the stories associated with them
At Indiahikes, we are very conscious about how we trek and how we treat the outdoors. There’s a certain spirit of trekking we believe in — a minimal and sustainable way of trekking. These are imparted by our Green Trails initiative, which inevitably has a big impact on children.
- Learn a minimal way of living by exploring lifestyles in remote villages in the foothills
- Clean trekking trails and leave mountains better
- Understand the importance of saving natural resources
- Learn the basics of waste management — segregating and composting waste
- Understand how to make composting toilets in the outdoors
Life skills and behavious
Finally, the program design imparts priceless personal behaviours and skills among children. Within a week of our trekking summer camp we see remarkable changes in children. Children start displaying life skills that usually take years to develop.
- Gain life-long confidence after climbing to a high mountain summit
- Get accustomed to hardships
- Build resilience through overcoming difficulties
- Learn how to work collaboratively with a team
- Learn to own and share responsibilities
- Understand how to deal with healthy conflicts and resolve them
- Learn interpersonal communication skills
Join the Whatsapp group to interact with other parents and get answers to your questions about Summer Camps.
Register for Indiahikes Chaperone To Travel With Your Child For Onward Journey (From Bangalore / Mumbai)
If you are unable to bring your child till Delhi airport, you may send your child along with an Indiahikes Chaperone. We have dedicated chaperones leaving from Mumbai and Bangalore on designated dates.
Here are the steps you need to follow to send your child with an Indiahikes Chaperone
- The one-way fee is Rs 2,000 per child. Register for the Chaperone Service by writing to Adeline Rebecca, Experiential Learning Coordinator. Her email id is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you’ve opted for an Indiahikes Chaperone, you need to drop your child at Mumbai/Bengaluru airport 3 hours prior to the departure of the flight.
- You'll also need to book your child's ticket on the designated flight for the Indiahikes Chaperone. The details of the designated flights are as below:
For Return Journey (To Bangalore / Mumbai)
You can book chaperone for the return journey as well. The fee for the return journey is Rs 2,000 per child. We have dedicated chaperones reaching Mumbai and Bangalore on designated dates.
To avail chaperone services for the return journey, you'll also need to book your child's ticket on the designated flight for the Indiahikes Chaperone. The details of the designated flights are as below:
Important Note: The flight numbers may change and even the timings may vary by 15-20 minutes. Ensure the timing of the flight matches at the time of booking, even if the flight number is different.
If both the flight numbers and timings don't match, write to email@example.com to confirm before you book your flight.
Cancellation charges for the summer camp treks and chaperone:
1. Cancellation 45 days before the start date of the trek — Get a refund with 10% cancellation charges.
2. Cancellation between 45 days and 21 days before the start date of the trek — Get a refund with 50% cancellation charges.
3. Cancellation within 20 days prior to the start date of the trek, or no show on the start day of the trek — Unfortunately, no refund or voucher.
Sign up for our much loved Weekly Mailer
We have terrific trekking tips, trek updates and trek talks to look forward to