Working at a startup can be extremely rewarding and equally frustrating. In our organization everyone seems to be doing everything! It is very different from a corporate culture. Here responsibilities are high, work is busy. Yet, people like what they are doing.
We are looking for people to join us. We think you’ll love a career in our world of treks.
First, a bit about Indiahikes. Indiahikes is primarily a trek documentation organization. We explore, write and document treks. We do this in great detail so that everyone can organize their own treks. Ideally no one must need an organization like Indiahikes to take them on treks. This is our philosophy.
To fund our documentation process we also organize treks. The participation on our treks has grown. Today Indiahikes is India’s largest trek organization. Indiahikes is a pioneer in trekking in India. Most trails in India, trekking processes, safety systems, equipment has been introduced to Indian trekking by Indiahikes. We are proud of our legacy. Which is why we want the best people to work with us
Indiahikes Team Members
Just like us there are many who love the mountains and the world of treks. They just want to be involved in this world in some way or the other. If you are someone like us and want to devote your full time to this world then you can be an Indiahikes team member. The roles available are:
1. Trek Coordinators (operations)
Trek Coordinators run Indiahikes treks from the ground. Work involves being part of trek operations and managing trekkers. It is a role which has operations and communication. You talk with trekkers, understanding them, learning from the experience. On the other hand you extensively coordinate with our team to ensure treks run well. As you grow you get into core trek operations. Salary starts between Rs 3.6 lacs and Rs 4.2 lacs per annum. There are ample opportunities to go on Indiahikes treks.
Career progress is towards operations management. Applicants for Trek Coordinator must fulfill the following criteria:
- Must be at least 24 years old.
- Must have done a high altitude Himalayan trek (more the better)
- Must have 2 years work experience (in other industries).
- Must be willing to be Bangalore based.
- Must have excellent English and Hindi communication skills. Your written English skills will be tested.
- Male or Female
2. Trek Leaders
Trek leaders lead the Indiahikes teams in the mountains. Work involves being in some of the greatest trek slopes of our country. On the flip side trek leaders spend months in the mountains away from family and friends. Trek leaders at Indiahikes, of course, call it the best job in the world! If you’re looking for an adventurous career option, this is it.
Trek leading is a skill that is learned. Applicants must devote up to one month for Asst Trek Leader Training, followed by a period of 4-6 months as a Provisional Trek Leader in training, before being considered as a Trek Leader at Indiahikes. Training is imparted on leadership, safety, operations and climbing technology. There is a final selection at the end of the training program. The ATL program pays candidates a stipend of Rs 2,500 per week. During the Provision Trek Leader training period, candidates earn a stipend of Rs 25,000 per month. Once you are selected as a Trek leader earnings range between Rs 3.6 lakhs and Rs 5.8 lakhs per annum.
Applicants for Trek Leaders must fulfill the following criteria:
- Must be at least 25 years of age.
- Must have 2 experiences of trekking in high altitudes above 14,000 feet/or a Basic Mountaineering Course certificate from a reputed Institute.
- Must be willing to acquire a BLS certification (basic life support). A BLS certification can be done in any metro city at reputed hospitals.
- Must have excellent English and Hindi communication skills.
- Work experience in a management role in a different industry is preferred.
- Must follow an active fitness regimen. BMI (Body Mass Index) must be between 18.5 and 24.9.
- Smoking and drinking is not permitted under our work conditions. If you smoke or drink then it is something that you need to leave behind.
3. Assistant Trek Leaders
Would you like to assist Indiahikes trek leaders? Perhaps be a future trek leader? The ATL program is suitable for:
- Individuals who do not fully satisfy trek leader selection criteria (background, age, etc)
- But looking to be future trek leaders with Indiahikes
ATL applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum 24 years old
- Should have experience in trekking (minimum two high altitude trek experience above 14,000 feet)
- Work experience in other industries is given preference
- Must have excellent English communication skills.
- Must follow an active fitness regimen. BMI (Body Mass Index) must be between 18.5 and 23.9.
ATLs undergo extensive training for 6 months before being considered to be TLs with Indiahikes. The training is in two stages. First stage is of one month, where candidates are assessed whether they have potential of being a TL with Indiahikes. If assessment is successful, after one month they become Provisional Trek Leaders (PTL). The PTL training program can last up to 6 months. During the ATL training program candidates earn a stipend of Rs 2,500 per week, PTLs earn a stipend of Rs 25,000 per month. Trek leader earnings range between Rs 3.6 lakhs and Rs 5.8 lakhs per annum. Some earn more depending on their performance.
Before you apply for the post of an assistant trek leader, read this article about what the job involves. This video interview of our Trek Leader will also give you a good idea about what the role involves.
4. Content Writers
We are trying to grow our content — written, visual and digital.
We are looking for writers, especially those who want to get into travel writing. What we require:
- Someone who writes well. By “well” we mean simple, honest writing that shows knowledge, maturity and good command of English. Think Ruskin Bond.
- Someone who is curious about the world of trekking. Honestly, we’re tired of this line that most applicants use — “I love the mountains.” We find this sentence so loosely used, especially when the same person cannot name three mountain ranges in the Himalayas. You need to be someone who is instinctively curious, willing to research and learn about the mountains.
- Someone from a media background. This is not an absolute must, but someone who has an idea about how to write for the web, how to structure articles, what kind of content works, will really help. We’re alright if you are from a different line looking to switch to writing, provided you fulfill point one.
- Someone with at least three years of work experience (any industry). Here’s the hitch. At Indiahikes, it’s never just routine work. It’s always progressive work. So when someone comes with work ex, they bring in new perspectives and wisdom from their previous work. We are not keen on those freshly starting out. Work experience does not have to be in writing or media.
- Someone willing to be Bangalore based. This is an absolute must. We’re looking for those willing to work full time from our Bangalore office. No part-timers or freelancers. Also, we would like to avoid those who want to join us simply for the “bonus of trekking a few times every year.”
- Minimum 25 years old (female only).
- Willing to be Bangalore based.
- Work experience in writing preferred. Technical content writing experience does not count.
- Apply by writing a 300 word piece on “An outdoor incident that has stayed with me”.
Being an accountant with Indiahikes is not the same as in other organisations. We are not looking at someone who can just crunch numbers. We are looking for someone who can be one of us. Someone who loves the mountains and enjoys counting stars under an open sky.
Accountants must have minimum of 2-3 years work experience and be proficient with Tally. Around 25 years old. The work is Bangalore based and full time. Salary starts between Rs 3.6 and 4.2 lacs per annum.
6. Graphic Designers
Designers are required to develop Indiahikes brand reach to the outside world. The work involves designing infographics, merchandise, content and branding. Experienced designers required. Assignment based work.
Other Ways to Associate with Indiahikes
Technical Partners: If you are a technology startup or a boutique technology organisation or simply someone who can use technology to change lives, then you can partner with us. We believe technology plays a very big role in the future of trekking.
There are many areas where technology plays a big role. Imagine a situation where technology can make treks come alive. For example, chips embedded on the trail can tell where you are on the trek and how far away is the next camp. It can tell you what sights to expect.
On the other hand technology can make life easier. Our remote teams can work with technology which gives them vital information about movement of gears, inventory, consumption patterns and operations management.
On a totally different front technology can help people contribute and share trekking information — which allows people to trek on their own.
These are just some of the areas where technology can change the future of trekking. Indiahikes is already committed to bringing about these changes. We are looking at those who would like to partner us in these changes. We can form an association with you that is not employment but more of a partnership. We are keen to invest our time, effort and money in such partnerships.
Email us with your thoughts and we’ll be happy to talk with you. Email personally Arjun: firstname.lastname@example.org CC Sandhya: email@example.com.
How To Apply (for positions 1-6)
For all positions email Sandhya: firstname.lastname@example.org
CC Arjun: email@example.com
Subject: Working with Indiahikes – (name of position).
What to include in your email application
- Your recently updated resume (Even if you don’t have a background in trekking, your past work experience matters to us.)
- Write a paragraph about why you wish to work at Indiahikes.
- Write another paragraph on why you would make a suitable candidate for Indiahikes.
- If you have any trek experience, mention it in the email.
We receive a large number of applications. If you are shortlisted we will write back to you within seven days, usually quicker. If you do not hear from us within 7 days in all probability your application has been rejected. You can, of course, remind us again in case you feel you are a right fit for Indiahikes.