Working at a startup can be extremely rewarding and equally frustrating. In our organization everyone seems to be doing everything! It is very different from a corporate culture. Here responsibilities are high, work is busy. Yet, people like what they are doing.
We are looking for people to join us. We think you’ll love a career in our world of treks.
On this page, you’ll find the different roles we have and the application process. You’ll also find a video on what it really means to work here, where our founder throws some light on the realities of working at Indiahikes.
First, a bit about Indiahikes
Indiahikes is primarily a trek documentation organization. We explore, write and document treks. We do this in great detail so that everyone can organize their own treks. Ideally no one must need an organization like Indiahikes to take them on treks. This is our philosophy.
To fund our documentation process we also organize treks. The participation on our treks has grown. Today Indiahikes is India’s largest trek organization. Indiahikes is a pioneer in trekking in India. Most trails in India, trekking processes, safety systems, equipment has been introduced to Indian trekking by Indiahikes. We are proud of our legacy. Which is why we want the best people to work with us.
In this context read our work requirement below.
Indiahikes Team Members
Just like us there are many who love the mountains and the world of treks. They just want to be involved in this world in some way or the other. If you are someone like us and want to devote your full time to this world then you can be an Indiahikes team member. The roles available are:
1. Trek Coordinators (operations)
Trek Coordinators run Indiahikes treks from the ground. Work involves being part of trek operations and managing trekkers. It is a role which has operations and communication. You talk with trekkers, understanding them, learning from the experience. On the other hand you extensively coordinate with our team to ensure treks run well. As you grow you get into core trek operations. Salary starts at Rs 4.2 lacs per annum. There are ample opportunities to go on Indiahikes treks.
Career progress is towards operations management. Applicants for Trek Coordinator must fulfill the following criteria:
- Must be at least 24 years old.
- Must have done treks (we prefer if you have done Himalayan treks)
- Must have 2 years work experience (in other industries).
- Must be willing to be Bangalore based.
- Must have excellent English and Hindi communication skills. Your written English skills will be tested.
- Male or Female
2. Assistant Trek Coordinators (Home based, part-time)
Assistant trek coordinators assist trek coordinators in managing trekkers. They help in getting trekkers ready for the trek, solving their queries, and ensuring they have completed all their formalities. The work is home based and can be done part-time (5-6 hours). What we want from you is trek experience plus excellent English and Hindi communication skills.
Salary starts at 2.40 lakhs per annum.
3. Operations Manager
The operations team is the backbone of Indiahikes. They ensure that all Indiahikes treks run efficiently. To do that Operations Managers have to ensure everything is in place much before time. This includes staff, food, equipment and transport management.
The work is complex. Managing India’s largest trekking organisation requires high order of discipline and involvement. We are looking at Operations Manager who can be based in Bangalore. Salary starts at 5.0 lakhs per annum. What we need:
- Must be at least 27 years old
- Work experience in leadership/managerial role in other industries preferred
- Work will involve travel to the Himalayas
- Good English and Hindi communication skills required
- Prior trek experience required
4. Trek Leaders
Trek leaders lead the Indiahikes teams in the mountains. Work involves being in some of the greatest trek slopes of our country. On the flip side trek leaders spend months in the mountains away from family and friends. Trek leaders at Indiahikes, of course, call it the best job in the world! If you’re looking for an adventurous career option, this is it.
Trek leading is a skill that is learned. Applicants must devote up to one month for Asst Trek Leader Training, followed by a period of 4-6 months as a Provisional Trek Leader in training, before being considered as a Trek Leader at Indiahikes. Training is imparted on leadership, safety, operations and climbing technology. There is a final selection at the end of the training program. The ATL program pays candidates a stipend of Rs 4,000 per week. During the Provision Trek Leader training period, candidates earn a stipend of Rs 25,000 per month. Once you are selected as a Trek leader earnings range between Rs 4.2 lakhs and Rs 6.0 lakhs per annum.
Applicants for Trek Leaders must fulfill the following criteria:
- Must be at least 25 years of age.
- Must have 2 experiences of trekking in high altitudes above 14,000 feet/or a Basic Mountaineering Course certificate from a reputed Institute.
- Must be willing to acquire a BLS certification (basic life support). A BLS certification can be done in any metro city at reputed hospitals.
- Must have excellent English and Hindi communication skills.
- Work experience in a leadership role in a different industry is preferred.
- Must follow an active fitness regimen. BMI (Body Mass Index) must be between 18.5 and 24.9.
- Smoking and drinking is not permitted under our work conditions. If you smoke or drink then it is something that you need to leave behind.
5. Assistant Trek Leaders
Would you like to assist Indiahikes trek leaders? Perhaps be a future trek leader? The ATL program is suitable for:
- Individuals who do not fully satisfy trek leader selection criteria (background, age, etc)
- But looking to be future trek leaders with Indiahikes
ATL applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum 24 years old
- Work experience in other industries is given preference
- Must have excellent English and Hindi communication skills.
- Must follow an active fitness regimen. BMI (Body Mass Index) must be between 18.5 and 23.9.
- No smoking or drinking habit
ATLs undergo extensive training for 6 months before being considered to be TLs with Indiahikes. The training is in two stages. First stage is of forty five days, where candidates are assessed whether they have potential of being a TL with Indiahikes. If assessment is successful, after forty five days they become Provisional Trek Leaders (PTL). The PTL training program can last up to 6 months. During the ATL training program candidates earn a stipend of Rs 4,000 per week, PTLs earn a stipend of Rs 25,000 per month. Trek leader earnings range between Rs 4.2 lakhs and Rs 6.0 lakhs per annum. Some earn more depending on their performance.
Before you apply for the post of an assistant trek leader, read this article about what the job involves.
This video interview of our Trek Leader will also give you a good idea about what the role involves.
6. Content Writers
Content writes grow Indiahikes’ digital content — written, visual and digital. Content writers are sometimes writing to bring a trek alive, at other times they may be working on videos and photographs.
Indiahikes has always stood for the right information about trekking. Today it is the largest database about trekking information. Despite that, the information on our website can be made richer, more interactive. There are thought provoking articles to be written. There are videos to make. There are opportunities to grow our social engagement and a chance to work on our community. The variety in the role is enormous; the work is global. Growth in the role is rapid, usually within months. Content writers get opportunity to do Indiahikes treks too.
Salary starts at Rs 4.5 lakhs per annum. What we require:
- Someone who writes well. By “well” we mean simple, honest writing that shows knowledge, maturity and good command of English. Think Ruskin Bond.
- Someone who is curious about the world of trekking. You need to be someone who is instinctively curious, willing to research and learn about the mountains. Yes, you must like trekking.
- Someone from a media background. This is not an absolute must, but someone who has an idea about how to write for the web, how to structure articles, what kind of content works, will really help. We’re alright if you are from a different line looking to switch to writing, provided you fulfill point one.
- Someone with at least two years of work experience (any industry). Work experience does not have to be in writing or media. When someone comes with work ex, they bring in new perspectives and wisdom from their previous work. We are not keen on those freshly starting out.
- Someone willing to be Bangalore based. This is an absolute must. We’re looking for those willing to work full time from our Bangalore office. No part-timers or freelancers.
- Minimum 25 years old.
- Apply by writing a 300 word piece on “An outdoor incident that has stayed with me”.
7. Photo Editors
We are looking at photographers who have editing skills. At Indiahikes we get hundreds of photo submissions every day. Most of these photographs are excellent. Yet, they require to be selected, edited and showcased to the world. The person who does this is the Photo Editor.
Photo Editors are expert photographers themselves. They love photography. The work will include chances to go on treks, become official photographer, have your photography displayed to a large number of people. The role is full time at our Bangalore office. Salary starts between Rs 3.6 and 4.2 lacs per annum.
Being an accountant with Indiahikes is not the same as in other organisations. We are not looking at someone who can just crunch numbers. We are looking for someone who can be one of us. Someone who loves the mountains and enjoys counting stars under an open sky.
Accountants must have minimum of 2-3 years work experience and be proficient with Tally. Around 25 years old. The work is Bangalore based and full time. Salary starts between Rs 3.6 and 4.2 lacs per annum.
9. Graphic Designers
Designers are required to develop Indiahikes brand reach to the outside world. The work involves designing infographics, merchandise, content and branding. Experienced designers required. Assignment based work.
10. Technology Partners
If you are a technology startup or a boutique technology organisation or simply someone who can use technology to change lives, then you can partner with us. We believe technology plays a very big role in the future of trekking.
How To Apply (for all positions)
For all positions email Sandhya: email@example.com
CC Arjun: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Working with Indiahikes – (name of position).
What to include in your email application
- Your recently updated resume (Even if you don’t have a background in trekking, your past work experience matters to us.)
- Write a paragraph about why you wish to work at Indiahikes.
- Write another paragraph on why you would make a suitable candidate for Indiahikes.
- If you have any trek experience, mention it in the email.
A note about your application status
We receive a large number of applications. If you are shortlisted we will write back to you within seven days, usually quicker. If you do not hear from us within 7 days in all probability your application has been rejected. You can, of course, remind us again in case you feel you are a right fit for Indiahikes.
What’s it like to work at Indiahikes?
In this video, our chief editor Swathi Chatrapathy interviews Indiahikes founder Arjun Majumdar on what it means to work at Indiahikes. In this video he talks about the core values of Indiahikes and who would make the right fit at our organisation.