Working at a startup can be extremely rewarding and equally frustrating. In our organization everyone seems to be doing everything! It is very different from a corporate culture. Here responsibilities are high, work is busy. Yet, people like what they are doing.
We are looking for people to join us. We think you’ll love a career in our world of treks.
First, a bit about Indiahikes. Indiahikes is primarily a trek documentation organization. We explore, write and document treks. We do this in great detail so that everyone can organize their own treks. Ideally no one must need an organization like Indiahikes to take them on treks. This is our philosophy.
To fund our documentation process we also organize treks. The participation on our treks has grown. Today Indiahikes is India’s largest trek organization. Indiahikes is a pioneer in trekking in India. Most trails in India, trekking processes, safety systems, equipment has been introduced to Indian trekking by Indiahikes. We are proud of our legacy. Which is why we want the best people to work with us
Indiahikes Team Members
Just like us there are many who love the mountains and the world of treks. They just want to be involved in this world in some way or the other. If you are someone like us and want to devote your full time to this world then you can be an Indiahikes team member. The roles available are:
1. Trek Coordinators (operations)
Trek Coordinators run Indiahikes treks from the ground. Work involves being part of trek operations and managing trekkers. It is a role which has operations and communication. You talk with trekkers, understanding them, learning from the experience. On the other hand you extensively coordinate with our team to ensure treks run well. As you grow you get into core trek operations. Salary starts between Rs 3.6 lacs and Rs 4.2 lacs per annum. There are ample opportunities to go on Indiahikes treks.
Career progress within and outside the organisation is high. Applicants for Trek Coordinator must fulfill the following criteria:
- Must be at least 24 years old.
- Must have done a high altitude Himalayan trek (more the better)
- Must have 2 years work experience (in other industries).
- Must be willing to be Bangalore based.
- Must have excellent English and Hindi communication skills. Your written English skills will be tested.
- Male or Female
2. Trek Leaders
Trek leaders lead the Indiahikes teams in the mountains. Work involves being in some of the greatest trek slopes of our country. On the flip side trek leaders spend months in the mountains away from family and friends. Trek leaders at Indiahikes, of course, call it the best job in the world! If you’re looking for an adventurous career option, this is it.
Trek leading is a skill that is learned. Applicants must devote up to one month for Asst Trek Leader Training, followed by a period of 4-6 months as a Provisional Trek Leader in training, before being considered as a Trek Leader at Indiahikes. Training is imparted on leadership, safety, operations and climbing technology. There is a final selection at the end of the training program. The ATL program pays candidates a stipend of Rs 2,500 per week. During the Provision Trek Leader training period, candidates earn a stipend of Rs 25,000 per month. Once you are selected as a Trek leader earnings range between Rs 3.6 lakhs and Rs 5.8 lakhs per annum. Some earn more depending on their performance.
Applicants for Trek Leaders must fulfill the following criteria:
- Must have 2 experiences of trekking in high altitudes above 14,000 feet/or a Basic Mountaineering Course certificate from a reputed Institute.
- Must be willing to acquire a BLS certification (basic life support). A BLS certification can be done in any metro city at reputed hospitals.
- Must have excellent English and Hindi communication skills.
- Must be at least 25 years of age, preferably with work experience in a different industry.
- Must follow an active fitness regimen. BMI (Body Mass Index) must be between 18.5 and 24.9.
- Smoking and drinking is not permitted under our work conditions. If you smoke or drink then it is something that you need to leave behind.
3. Assistant Trek Leaders
Would you like to assist Indiahikes trek leaders? Perhaps be a future trek leader? The ATL program is suitable for:
- Individuals who do not fully satisfy trek leader selection criteria (background, age, etc)
- But looking to be future trek leaders with Indiahikes
ATL applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum 23 years old
- Should have experience in trekking (minimum one high altitude trek experience above 14,000 feet)
- Work experience in other industries is given preference
- Must have excellent English communication skills.
- Must follow an active fitness regimen. BMI (Body Mass Index) must be between 18.5 and 23.9.
ATLs undergo extensive training for 6 months before being considered to be TLs with Indiahikes. The training is in two stages. First stage is of one month, where candidates are assessed whether they have potential of being a TL with Indiahikes. If assessment is successful, after one month they become Provisional Trek Leaders (PTL). The PTL training program can last up to 6 months. During the ATL training program candidates earn a stipend of Rs 2,500 per week, PTLs earn a stipend of Rs 25,000 per month. Trek leader earnings range between Rs 3.6 lakhs and Rs 5.8 lakhs per annum. Some earn more depending on their performance.
Before you apply for the post of an assistant trek leader, read this article about what the job involves. This video interview of our Trek Leader will also give you a good idea about what the role involves.
4. Content Writers
Can you write about a trek in a way that makes people want to go there? At Indiahikes we want people to trek. Content writers can make treks come alive with their writing. Content writers are part of our content and documentation team. Content Writers help document our treks. They gather information about a trek, put trek stories together and write articles about treks. Content Writers work with photographs, videos and social media. Prior writing experience especially in print media is given preference. This role can be full or part time. You need to be an outdoorsy person for this role. When you apply send us sample/links to your work. Send us a creative cover email too. It tells us how you write! Salary starts at 4.2 lacs per annum.
5. Trek Researcher
Do you have extensive knowledge of treks? Then you can work with us as trek researcher. You work with the documentation team in researching about treks across our country. Your job is to upgrade, verify and gather trek information. At Indiahikes we are always bringing out new treks to do in every state of our country. These are treks that people can do on their own. Trek researches help bring out these treks. The work is part or full time and can be done from your home. You need good English communication skills.
Being an accountant with Indiahikes is not the same as in other organisations. We are not looking at someone who can just crunch numbers. We are looking for someone who can be one of us. Someone who will love the mountains and enjoy counting stars under an open sky.
Accountants must have minimum of 2-3 years work experience and be proficient with Tally. Around 25 years old. The work is Bangalore based and full time. Salary starts between Rs 3.6 and 4.2 lacs per annum.
7. Software Developers (Ruby on Rails, WordPress, Android)
Can you write really good code? We are looking for software developers who can be creative and help grow the technical front of Indiahikes. If you are into developing apps, you can apply too. Software developers get opportunities to go on Indiahikes treks. The role is Bangalore based. Salary is flexible.
8. Social Internship with Indiahikes
Indiahikes offers a Social internship program as part of its Green Trails Project. During your internship you will be directly involved with tackling the problem of waste management in the mountains. Your work will include undoing damage of the past while putting into place new processes that will ensure that the mountains are left in a better condition. This will help catalyse your career in several professions – right from writing to engineering and management.
Internship duration is 30 days. Internship stipend: Rs 2,500 per week.
Requirements expected of Green Trails interns:
- A university degree or experience of working on environmental issues.
- Strong interpersonal and motivational skills
- High level of fitness and capacity to endure physical hardship
- Willingness to spend internship time living in the mountains (seems romantic but not easy)
- Good working knowledge of English. Spoken Hindi is an added advantage.
- No drinking or smoking
We currently require interns with specialised skill set. Read about the ongoing projects we have here.
9. Graphic Designers
Designers are required to develop Indiahikes brand reach to the outside world. The work involves designing infographics, merchandise, content and branding. Experienced designers preferred. Assignment based work.
10. Team doctors
As a doctor, do you want to spend some time in the mountains? Indiahikes is looking for doctors (min MBBS and not Dental) to be a part of our trek team in the Himalayas. Duration – 20, 30 or 45 days. Doctors are paid an honorarium of Rs 1,000 per day calculated for the number of days spent.
How To Apply
Subject: Working with Indiahikes – (name of position).
What to include in your email application
- Your recently updated resume (Even if you don’t have a background in trekking, your past work experience matters to us.)
- Write a paragraph about why you wish to work at Indiahikes.
- Write another paragraph on why you would make a suitable candidate for Indiahikes.
- If you have any trek experience, mention it in the email.
We receive a large number of applications. If you are shortlisted we will write back to you within seven days, usually quicker.