(Chadar trek- 26th Jan’2013 Batch)
My Experiences – An unparalleled experience. I never expected that I’ll hold together at such extreme temperatures but the beauty of the mountains just blew us all away. Every turn was exhilarating. Every moment there was excitement of discovering something new. All along the trek, we all knew we are living out memories that will stay with us forever.
- First & foremost, the team. An absolute delight to have trekked with Rahul, Riyaaz & Guddu. In fact, for our stay at Leh, it was the whole team with Manish, Bharti & Rajjo also made it great. All of us bonded very easily with all of them.
- It was good to see that the Indiahikes team was concerned about the environment & made an effort to keep the trail clean.
- The food was an unexpected & amazing delight. We never expected pancakes, chole bhature & so much more while trekking at -20 degrees.
- We had an awesome group but the group size was on the higher side. I think a group of upto 15 would be most comfortable on Chadar.
- You shall include Lingshed Monastery on the itinerary. It adds one day but the history around the monastery shall make the extra day worthwhile.
- Not reaching Nerak was a disappointment. 🙁
- All in all, it was a pleasurable experience. I shall be trekking again with Indiahikes very soon.
Editor’s Note: Manish’s team was unable to complete the entire trek to Neyrak. They ran into a large stretch of water that was flowing over the Chadar. Though the team was equipped with rubber boots, the water was over knee deep and the team decided not to venture ahead.
@ Manish. Trekking to Lingshed increases the trek time by two days and not one. Besides, the path to Lingshed is icy and treacherous. Chances of falls are high. The Neyrak village where you go closely resembles Lingshed. Neyrak will also give you an idea of how life in the desert mountains can be in winters.