This December, Indiahikes is organising the Himalayan Mountain Challenge for the students of IIM. Final year students of IIM Bangalore and IIM Lucknow will gather in the Himalayas to challenge each other in a strategy game. The game involves not only trekking but also strategy, planning, endurance and guts.
Volunteers are required to help run the mountain challenge. They not only get to engage with the brightest minds in the country but also get to trek in one of the prettiest locations in India – Kedarkantha in Uttarakhand.
Here are some FAQs to answer questions that you might have about volunteering for the programme –
1. What is the duration of the IIM Programme?
The IIM program for IIM Bangalore will go on from 3rd to 9th December 2017.
The IIM Program for IIM Lucknow will go on from 11th to 18th December 2017.
2. What are the eligibility requirements to apply?
- You should be between 25 and 40 years of age
- You should have prior high altitude trekking experience with Indiahikes
- You should be physically fit to do a high altitude trek
Prior experience in managerial roles will help. Preference will be given to Indiahikes trekkers who have not been a volunteer for this programme in the past
3. What is the starting point of this programme?
The starting point will be Dehradun. You will need to report at the meeting point at 6.00 am sharp on 11th December. The meeting point will be Dehradun Railway Station.
4. When do I have to reach Dehradun?
We will organize the pick up for base camp (Sankri) at 6.00 am on 3rd December for the IIM Bangalore program and 11th December for the IIM Lucknow program. We recommend that you reach a day earlier to ensure that you’re in time for the pick up.
5. Which slope will I be going to?
The IIM Programme for IIM Bangalore and IIM Lucknow will be conducted at Kedarkantha.
6. Will you book my tickets for me?
You will have to book your tickets on your own. Indiahikes will take care of all volunteering expenses from base camp to base camp. Volunteers have to reach and return from the base camp (Sankri) at their own expense. Indiahikes will arrange pick up for the base camp from Dehradun and from the base camp to Rishikesh, where the program ends.
7. Will I get to trek during the IIM Programme?
Yes, you will get to trek on the Kedarkantha trail during the programme.
8. Will this be like usual Indiahikes treks?
Yes, this will be like a usual Indiahikes trek. However, as part of the organising team, you will have responsibilities to be fulfilled to make the programme effective.
9. What will be my role in the IIM Programme?
You will be assigned a team of 8-10 students. Your role will include the following –
- Being the single point of contact for your students for any questions or concerns that they have. You will be the face of Indiahikes for them.
- Ensuring that the students understand the rules of the strategy game that they’ll be participating in during the programme
- Conducting activities related to the strategy game for your students at the campsite and on the trekking trail
- Maintaining a scoresheet of your team’s points
- Settling any scoring related disagreement that your students might have
- Briefing them on discipline and safety protocols during the programme
- Ensuring that they adhere to discipline and safety protocols during the programme
- Guiding and motivating them during the trek
- Reporting any health concerns that you or your students might have to the Trek leader immediately
10. What should I NOT do during the IIM Programme?
Since you will be the single point of contact for your team of students, you should not –
- Be preoccupied with telephone calls or other distractions once the students arrive till the end of the trek
- Wander off on your own during the trek
- Break any of the discipline or safety protocols
- Be late or casual about punctuality
- Prescribe medication to students or yourself without consulting the Trek Leader
11. Will I have to lead the trek during the programme?
All slopes will have Indiahikes Trek Leaders and guides, who will guide students and volunteers. However, you will be responsible for keeping track of the students assigned to you and motivating them through the trek each day. You will have to ensure that you’re never too far away from your team.
12. How many students will be participating in the programme?
There will be roughly 40 students from IIM Bangalore in a single group and 100 students from IIM Lucknow, split into two groups.
13. Is there any pre-work to be done before the programme?
There are two things that you would need to do before you arrive for the programme –
- Work on your fitness – You have to be very fit as a volunteer. You will not only be trekking in high altitudes, but will also have responsibilities at the campsite before and after the trek. Doing all of this is possible only if you are physically fit.
- Go through the pre-read that we will share with you before you arrive in Rishikesh. This will give you an idea of the activities that you will be conducting for students during the programme.
To apply, write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include this is your subject line – Application to volunteer for IIM Programme