Every year, Indiahikes organises the Himalayan Mountain Challenge for final year students of Indian Institude of Management (IIM), Indore. We have been running it for the past eight years. This year, IIM Bangalore and Lucknow too have made it a Credit Course for their students.
We are looking for volunteers to help us run the Himalayan Mountain Challenge.
What exactly happens at the Himalayan Mountain Challenge?
Final year students of IIM Bangalore, IIM Lucknow and IIM Indore will gather in the Himalayas to challenge their classmates in a strategy game. The game involves not only trekking but also strategy, planning, endurance and guts.
This is a highly acclaimed programme that IIM Indore has included in its curriculum for the past 8 years. IIM Bangalore and Lucknow have more recently made it a credit course for their students.
How can you help?
We are looking for volunteers to help run the mountain challenge. Volunteers not only get to engage with the brightest minds in the country but also get to trek in few of the prettiest locations in India – Kedarkantha, Bedni Bugyal and Dayara Bugyal in Uttarakhand.
So if you’d like to be part of an enthralling adventure programme for management students, then here is your chance.
Below, we have answered a few questions that you might have about volunteering for the programme –
1. When are the programmes and what is the duration?
There are three separate dates for IIM Bangalore, Indore and Lucknow.
• IIM Lucknow – Sept 3rd to Sept 9th.
• IIM Indore – Oct 26th to Nov 2nd.
• IIM Bangalore – Nov 29th to Dec 6th.
2. What is the eligibility criteria to apply?
Prior experience in managerial roles will help. Preference will be given to Indiahikes trekkers who have not been a volunteer for this programme in the past.
We are very particular about whom we choose as volunteers and will not relax the criteria we have mentioned.
We will be shortlisting a total of 36 volunteers for all three programmes put together.
3. What is the starting point of this programme?
The starting point will be Dehradun or Haridwar, depending on which slope you are selected for. If you are selected, more details about the time and exact location will be shared with you.
4. Which slope will I be going to?
This will be decided only 3-4 days prior to the trek. Once you’re selected, we’ll ask you for your preference, but we will be making the final decision.
5. Will you book my tickets for me?
You will have to book your tickets on your own.
6. How much of the cost is borne by Indiahikes?
Indiahikes will take care of all volunteering expenses from base camp to base camp. Volunteers have to reach and return from the base camp at their own expense. Indiahikes will arrange pick up for the base camp from Dehradun and from the base camp to Rishikesh, where the program ends.
7. Will I get to trek during the IIM Programme?
Yes, you will get to trek along with the IIM students during the programme.
8. Will this be like usual Indiahikes treks?
Yes, this will be like a usual Indiahikes trek. However, as part of the organising team, you will have responsibilities to be fulfilled to make the programme effective.
9. What role do I have to play during the IIM Programme?
You will be assigned a team of 8-10 students. Your role will include the following –
- Being the single point of contact for your students for any questions or concerns that they have. You will be the face of Indiahikes for them. In short, you will be a mini-trek leader for them.
- Ensuring that the students understand the rules of the strategy game that they’ll be participating in during the programme
- Conducting activities related to the strategy game for your students at the campsite and on the trekking trail
- Helping students reflect on their learnings after each activity with a good debriefing and reflection session
- Maintaining a scoresheet of your team’s points
- Settling any scoring related disagreement that your students might have
- Briefing them on discipline and safety protocols during the programme
- Ensuring that they adhere to discipline and safety protocols during the programme
- Guiding and motivating them during the trek
- Reporting any health concerns that you or your students might have to the Trek leader immediately
10. What should I NOT do during the IIM Programme?
Since you will be the single point of contact for your team of students, you should not –
- Be preoccupied with telephone calls or other distractions once the students arrive till the end of the trek
- Wander off on your own during the trek
- Break any of the discipline or safety protocols
- Be late or casual about punctuality
- Prescribe medication to students or yourself without consulting the Trek Leader
11. Will I have to lead the trek during the programme?
All slopes will have Indiahikes Trek Leaders and guides, who will guide students and volunteers. However, you will be responsible for keeping track of the students assigned to you and motivating them through the trek each day. You will have to ensure that you’re never too far away from your team.
12. How many students will be participating in the programme?
There will be roughly 40-50 students in a single group. These students will be split into around 5 teams of 8-10 each. As a volunteer you will be handling this team of 8-10.
13. Is there any pre-work to be done before the programme?
There are two things that you would need to do before you arrive for the programme –
- Work on your fitness – You have to be very fit as a volunteer. You will not only be trekking in high altitudes, but will also have responsibilities at the campsite before and after the trek. Doing all of this is possible only if you are physically fit.
- Go through the pre-read that we will share with you before you come. This will give you an idea of the activities that you will be conducting for students during the programme.
14. Can couples apply together for the programme?
Yes you can. But you will be going on two different slopes if both of you are selected.
15. What is the application process?
Note: If we do not respond to you after you fill the form, it means you have not been shortlisted.
To apply, fill this form. If you are shortlisted, you will hear from us within 7 days.
If you know of somebody who might suit us as a volunteer, share this post with them. If you have questions, just drop in a comment.