Moderate-Difficult | Level 2
12 to 62 years
12 to 62 years
Moderate-Difficult | Level 2
Bodpathri Lakes Trek
The new discovery that could be one of the greatest treks in Kashmir
Our Remote Trek Documenter, Saliyah Ahmad and our Senior Trek Leader, Nitesh Kumar, who has designed our Gidara Bugyal, the Chhattisgarh Jungle Trek and the recent Ranthan Kharak trek, explored the Bodpathri Lakes trek and put it down in a very simple line. They said, "One emotion to describe this trek is in a word — ZABARDAST!"
There are treks like Kashmir Great Lakes, Tarsar Marsar and Nafran Valley. People post about these treks and go gaga. But the Bodpathri Lakes Trek, like an older brother, was waiting for its time. After being under the army's jurisdiction for decades, the trek can now stand up on its own and claim its place among the greatest treks of Kashmir.
There are several reasons why anyone will feel this trek is one of the greatest in Kashmir:
- Trekkers have never stepped into such a beautiful part of Kashmir. This region was out of bounds until a few years ago. Even now, you see remains of army bunkers and trenches on the trail. What has stayed in the untouched beauty that no one has seen before — the forests, meadows, valleys, rivers and lakes. All come together to show you a side of Kashmir that none of our other treks has shown.
- There are 6 majestic alpine lakes to see. Two of them, the Bodsar and the Pamsar, are at par with our lakes on the KGL and Tarsar Marsar. Lakes like the Pathrisar, Lokutsar and Damansar are no pushovers either. Then there are the cute Navkansar twin lakes.
- Trekkers traverse through the mind-boggling carpeted beauty of the Ashtaar valley. And then discover there are 4 more such beautiful valleys to trek through. The Guruwansar, Pamsar, Bodsar and the Gadtar valleys. Each is distinctly beautiful. Each has a strong character.
- The start of the trek itself feels like paradise. There is a reason why it is called Doodhpathri (the valley of milk). The golf course-like bowl-shaped valley stuns anyone with its velvety green splendour.
- The forest trails outside Doodhpathri are very enchanting. The coniferous trees are so tall that we cannot see their tops.
- The KGL and Tarsar Marsar treks boast of some great meadows. On the Bodpathri Lakes trek, the meadows are the highlights. They are vast and endless, like a sea, in every direction. You are in the middle of it. It is 360 degrees of manicured alpine meadows — for days.
- Rarely will you witness a golden sunrise as beautiful as from the camps around the Gurwansar lake. The sun rises from the meadows torching everything in a golden light. The alpenglow on the snow-capped mountains only adds to this splendour.
- On this trek, you camp beside the most picturesque meadows, valleys, rivers and river delta. If you think you have camped at some exotic locations on your other treks, then the campsites of the Bodpathri Lakes trek will make you rethink those campsites.
- You finally enter the forbidden meadows of Tosamaidan. The beauty of Tosamaidan makes you end the trek on a high.
Drive from Srinagar to Doodhpathri
Drive distance: 55 km | Drive Duration: 2.5 hours | Pick-up point for Indiahikes trekkers: Sheikh Feroze Tours & Travels, Sathu, Barbara Shah Chowk, near Flourmill, Srinagar
Transport will be organized at 10 am from Sheikh Feroze Tours & Travels, Sathu, Barbara Shah Chowk, near Flourmill, Srinagar. The cost of the cab is Rs 500 per person and needs to be paid directly to the driver.
Trek from Doodhpathri to Ashtaar Valley
Trek distance: 10.5 km | Trek Duration: 7-8 hours
Altitude gain: 8,900 ft to 11,525 ft
Easy-Moderate. Gradual ascent through forests, meadows and ridge.
Trek from Ashtaar Valley to Gurwansar
Trek distance: 7.1 km | Trek Duration: 5-6 hours
Altitude gain: 11,525 ft to 12,514 ft
Moderate. Long gradual Ascents on meadows along with river crossing.
Trek from Gurwansar to Duriem via Pamsar Lake
Trek distance: 9 km | Trek Duration: 7 hours
Altitude gain: 12,514 ft to 12,621 ft via 13,060 ft
Moderate- difficult. Long walks and steep ascents through boulder sections
Trek from Duriem to to Gadtar via Bodsar Lake, Trastar Lake, Navkansar I,II & Damamsar Lake
Trek distance: 10.5 km | Trek Duration: 8 hours
Altitude gain and loss: 12,621 ft to 12,545 ft via 13,000 ft
Moderate- Difficulty. Long walks, steep ascents & descents through boulder sections enroute to Bodsar Lake & Navkansar I.
Trek from Gadtar to Tosamaidan. Drive to Srinagar
Trek Distance: 11 km | Trek Duration: 5-6 hours | Altitude loss: 12,545 ft to 10,080 ft
Drive Distance: 80 km | Drive Duration: 3.5 hours
Moderate. Gentle descents all the way along with river crossing on rocks.
For all your travel plans include a buffer day to accommodate bad weather on the trek/political instability. This depends completely on the circumstances of the trek and the situation in Kashmir. The buffer day is mandatory to keep in your itinerary.
If the buffer day is used, you have to pay us Rs 1,800 per day +5% GST. The money will be collected by the Trek Leader only if we use the buffer day.
➤Documents required: It is mandatory for trekkers to carry a photocopy of their photo id along with the mandatory documents of the Medical Certificate and Disclaimer form. This is required for trek permissions before and during the trek.
➤Unforseen Changes: In case of emergencies, we will reroute treks to other trails. Please ensure you're mentally prepared in case such situations arise.
For all your travel plans, include a buffer day to accommodate bad weather on the trek/political instability. This depends entirely on the circumstances of the trek and the situation in Kashmir.
➤Stay facility: You will be staying in tents on all days of the trek. Trekkers need to make their arrangements for a stay in Srinagar at the end of the trek.
- Advisory Note: There are often uncertainties when it comes to trekking in Kashmir. If you're planning any trek in Kashmir, ensure you book flexible flight tickets that allow you to reschedule your flight at no added costs. These are easily available with most airlines.
- For all your travel plans, include a buffer day to accommodate bad weather on the trek/political instability. This depends completely on the circumstances of the trek and the situation in Kashmir.
Campsites at a glance
At Indiahikes, we are very particular about choosing terrific campsites. For the Bodpathri Lakes trek too, after a lot of back and forth, we have settled on these terrific campsites, which trekkers have come to love.
Ashtaar Valley Campsite. Image by Nitesh Kumar
Dander Meadow. Image by Nitesh Kumar
Doodhpathri basecamp. Image by Nitesh Kumar
Why I Believe Everyone Must Trek: A Note from the Founder
Trekking transforms lives. It has completely changed my life. When I see my colleagues at Indiahikes, all of them have been impacted greatly. The transformations have been profound and irreversible.
I see it in our trekkers too. I have seen them change professions, careers or start a new life. I have seen them get in and out of relationships, and start new projects. These are life-changing experiences.
I have seen children building resilience. I have seen families come together. When I see those above 55, I see them rediscover passion and a sense of purpose. These are not small gains.
In the mountains new professions, new economies and new businesses have opened up. Our staff no longer go to cities to earn their living. Their income has increased. Above all, they are happiest working in this world. Trekking has been truly transformative.
Everyone must trek. It transforms lives far more than you imagine.
What I Like About the Bodpathri Lakes Trek
What I Like About the Bodpathri Lakes Trek
Situated at 13,000 ft, Bodsar Lake is the biggest lake on the trek.
Picture by: Nitesh Kumar
Know Your Trek
We have always wanted trekkers to be well-informed before they go on a Himalayan trek. Knowledge is the difference between a safe trek and a dangerous one. It’s also the difference between a wholesome experience and a superficial experience.
Use this section to learn about the Bodpathri Lakes Trek. It has in-depth information about each day of the trek, what to expect, and how you need to prepare for it. Many years of expertise have gone into this content. Trekkers find that extremely useful.
Why fitness matters on the Bodpathri Lakes Trek
On Moderate-Difficult treks like Bodpathri Lakes Trek, you’ll walk for about 8-12 km each day. Gradual to steep ascents and descents are common on all days. Expect to reach high altitudes of 13,000+ ft. There will also be technical sections (such as rockfall zones, near-vertical sections, and glacier walks), which our technical teams will help you navigate.
Your goal is to comfortably run 5 km within 32 minutes.
Note: If you are above the age of 58 years, you'll need to submit a Treadmill Test report within 7 days of registration.
Sign up for our much loved Weekly Mailer
We have terrific trekking tips, trek updates and trek talks to look forward to