We received a flood of entries from trekkers for the July 2015 Photo Contest. It was difficult short-listing just ten out of them. Here are the top 3 winners from the shortlisted nominations.
Shyam kumar Chelathur – Kashmir Great Lakes
A good photograph gets many things right at the same time. First, it is beautifully composed. Second, it gets the lighting right (as much as natural and as less as Photoshoped), Third, it needs to tell a story which sticks in your mind. Fourth, it must make you go wow! Shyam’s photograph is a superb rare composition of the Kashmir Great Lakes trek. The lighting is perfect. It makes the reader go wow at the beauty of the place and finally, it tells a joyous story of trekkers wafting across the grasslands of Kashmir. Shyam gets the first prize for this photograph.
1st RUNNER UP
Rajiv Roy – Hampta Pass
Rajiv’s Roy picture of the Hampta Pass is a terrific composition. The beehive of activity of the camp against the backdrop of the Hampta Pass gives readers a picture of what the trek is all about. The enhanced colours work in the photographs favour.
2nd RUNNER UP
Shibi – Kashmir Great Lakes
Sometimes a photographer has to wait for long to get the lighting perfect. The setting sun plays out a lovely game of light and shade in another wonderful composition. The composition, the lighting gives Shibi the third prize.
Other notable photographs:
1. Abhishek Ray, lone figure on Hampta Pass. Terrific composition. Overtly photoshoped.
2. Abhishek Mondol, tent near Chandratal. Terrific composition, but the tent is too close and dominates the photo.
1. Shyam kumar Chelathur: Kashmir Great Lakes
2. Abhishek Ray: Hampta Pass
3. Abhishek Ray (2): Hampta Pass
4. Rajiv Roy: Hampta Pass
5. Amit Salian – Kashmir Great Lakes
6. Abhishek Mondal: Hampta Pass
7. Abhishek Mondal (2): Hampta Pass
8. Kapil Varshney – Hampta Pass
9. Shibi – Kashmir Great Lakes
10. Raghav Sharma – Kashmir Great Lakes