If you’re using a sleeping bag for the first time, it’s not the easiest thing to figure out. So here’s a tutorial on how to use a sleeping bag and also how to roll it.
On an Indiahikes trek, you are provided with custom-made high altitude sleeping bags as seen in this video. They are well-insulated and can stand temperatures up to -10 degrees. You will also be given a fleece / cotton liner that you will use from the first to the last day. This is for hygiene purposes.
If you like the video below, subscribe to the channel here.
Below is a quick skim through the video.
How to use a sleeping bag
- Lay it out on a mat.
- Unlock the zipper flap and unzip it halfway.
- Wear a pair of clean socks.
- Put the liner in.
- Slip into the bag.
- Wriggle in and pull the bag up till your feet touch the bottom.
- Lie down with the hood under your head.
- Gently zip it up from the outside.
- Seal the flap lock.
- You can tighten the hood if required.
Rolling your Sleeping bag
- Zip the bag and lock it.
- Fold it to the length of the sleeping bag cover.
- Remove excess air form the top.
- Use your fingertips to roll it bottom up.
- Push it into the cover.
- Tighten the strings and make a loop.
- Put the flap on and buckle it up!
A few useful tips
- Always use a liner. It keeps your sleeping bag from getting dirty.
- Don’t rely completely on the sleeping bag to keep you warm. Wear enough layers to feel comfortable.
- Wear a pair of socks. It adds an extra layer of warmth.
- If you still feel cold wear a balaclava and warm layers.
- Place a mat underneath your sleeping bag. It acts as a layer of insulation in snow.
- Don’t be rough with the zipper.