We are looking for a special person for Indiahikes. We wonder if you would be interested?
We are looking for Trek Coordinators to join us. You may know our current trek coordinators: Prathima, Suhas, Vishnu, Varun, Kinshuk.
It is true Trek Coordinators coordinate our treks. Yet, the role goes beyond coordinating. Trek coordinators engage with our trekkers in a very deep way. The relationship formed is deeply engaging — both for the trekker and for the trek coordinator.
Like our trek leaders who have big fan clubs, trek coordinators too have their own following.
So right now, we are looking for Trek Coordinators who can form lasting relationships; someone who cares deeply about treks, and someone who loves to work with people.
We will start with a salary of 4.2 lakhs per annum.
We get a lot of applicants everyday. But most of them seem to be romantics who want to be in the mountains. What they don’t understand is that Indiahikes is a serious place of work. We may deal with the world of mountains, but our work defines the future of trekking. It is not a place to “chill”. Our work is enormously demanding. We love to work, and we work long hours.
The good thing about working at Indiahikes is that it is very interesting work. We have not heard anyone say it gets boring or that the work is monotonous. There is no dullness or routine of usual corporate work. Either people love working at Indiahikes or they leave within months.
What exactly does a trek coordinator do?
A trek coordinator is someone who engages with our trekkers in a very personal, meaningful way. They form strong relationships with them. They also advise trekkers on the right choice of treks, help prepare them for a trek and coordinate their movements.
Trek Coordinators are the lifeline of Indiahikes. They run our treks from behind the scenes. They also help form policies about the future of Indiahikes.
We’ll put down the nitty gritty of the role below.
The role requires:
1. Someone who engages well with people: This is the crux of the role. Being a Trek Coordinator involves a lot of talking to our trekkers — whether on emails, calls or face to face. This role suits those who love to engage with people and form lasting relationships.
English writing and Hindi speaking skills are very important. You really must be able to write good emails.
2. Someone who has Himalayan trek experience and knowledge: We’ll put it very simply. A trek coordinator must be a trekker. Without this basic premise, no matter how good a person is with people, they cannot make a connect with trekkers.
3. Someone with a minimum of two years of work experience: It doesn’t matter which industry, but we need this bit of prior professional experience. We will not accept applicants without this.
4. Someone who is willing to be based in Bangalore: It’s an out and out Bangalore-based role. It is not for those who “don’t get enough time to spend outdoors” because of their previous jobs. While going on treks is a perk of the job, it does not mean you are trekking all the time.
How will you know if you fit in?
Well, unless you are someone who loves to eat, breathe and sleep this work, this isn’t for you. We know you’re probably thinking “You’re asking for too much.” But this how all of us are at Indiahikes.
Even at home, we are thinking about work. Our work is our life; it is what adds meaning to our lives; it’s never “just a job.” We are all here to do something bigger than ourselves — make a change to the future of trekking. Indiahikes has always set the future of trekking. We are proud of our legacy. What this mean is it requires sacrifices. If you are looking for work that will earn you money, this is not your place. However, if you are looking for work that can make a difference to people, then this is the right place.
If you resonate with these thoughts, then you might fit right in.
How to apply
Scroll up and go through all our requirements once more.
If you fulfill all the requirements, write to firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume. Include two paragraphs in your mail answering these questions.
- Why you would like to work with Indiahikes
- Why you would make a suitable candidate
If you’re shortlisted, we’ll get back to you within four days with the next steps.
What you should do now
1. If you’d like to apply for any other role: Head over to our careers page. We have lots of positions open. We also have lots of applications coming in. So the sooner you apply, the better.
2. If you think this article might help your friends: Share it on Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn.
3. If you ended up here by chance and were actually looking for treks to do: Then head over to our upcoming treks page. You’ll find all our Himalayan treks there.
4. If you want to see the 10 best treks of India: Then get our guide here.