Latest Trek Updates: 19-05-2018 : 12:00:00
Roopkund: Trekkers finally reach Roopkund Lake!
Trek Leader Devang called us a few minutes ago and informed that his group of trekkers were able to summit Roopkund. Trekkers started early morning at 4:00 AM from Bhagwabasa campsite and reached the lake around 7:00 AM in the morning. This is the first group that has been able to reach the Roopkund Lake this season. The elusiveness of Roopkund finally comes to a halt.
We’re hopeful that the present weather conditions will continue and all other groups will also be able to witness the enthralling climb to Roopkund. We will upload pictures/videos as soon as we receive them, here.
Latest Trek Updates: 18-05-2018 : 16:50:00
Rupin Pass: Sunny Weather, Clear Skies
If you remember we had shared a video of our first group of trekkers crossing the Rupin Pass in heavy snowstorm, last week. Well our latest group of trekkers came down and informed us of clear blue skies and green meadow views with very less sight of snowfall. This is how weather changes at high-altitude. In a matter of a week, all that snow melted away and the lower waterfall campsite has turned green as ever. Trekkers heading there in the coming week can expect similar weather.
Latest Trek Updates: 18-05-2018 : 11:18:00
Deoriatal Chandrashila: Rains at Chopta, cloudy at Chandrashila
Since the last few days, it has been raining at Chopta – mostly at nights. Trekkers were able to climb up to the Chandrashila summit but got restricted views due to clouds. The trails had verglas in some parts and therefore it is recommended to be extra cautious and follow an experienced trek leader/guide. Wear good quality trek shoes and carry ponchos without fail.
Roopkund: Heavy rainfall at Lohajung
Yesterday night it rained heavily with thunderstorms at Lohajung. Today morning the weather cleared up and our trekking teams were able to make progress. We’re keeping a close eye on Roopkund till bad weather subsides. Rest assured, all trekkers are safe, sound and happy to see snowfall in the seething months of May.
Dayara Bugyal: Sunny mornings and rainy evenings
At Dayara it has become almost customary to have rainfall everyday post afternoon. The sunny mornings are washed away with a cool afternoon breeze and rains in the evenings. This has made the weather favourable and good for trekking.
Latest Trek Updates: 15-05-2018 : 16:23:00
Goechala: Season ends on a jubilant high.
All groups of trekkers were able to safely complete this trek for the season. The weather has been a good mixture of snowfall and warm sunshine. Trek Leader Varun reports that after crossing Dzongri (13,024 ft) most afternoons and evenings witnessed snow. The daily cycle of snow was followed by bright morning sunshine which would melt the snow from last night.
Trekkers camped at the Thansing campsite on the Goechala trek. Picture by: Trek Leader Varun
Bad Weather Forecast for the next 2 days by IMD – All trekking teams on alert!
IMD issued a fresh notice today, forecasting bad weather in isolated places over Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand. Following this notice, we have asked all our slope managers to stay on alert and keep the teams on hold. Till last night weather on all slopes had cleared but starting today, the weather has again taken a downturn.
Are you heading to the mountains in the following week? If Yes, follow the below steps:
1. Double check all your gear – ponchos, trek poles, trek shoes and waterproof backpacks.
2. If you’re going on your own contact the local Forest Departments officials and plan out your trek.
3. Keep a tab on this page. We will bring you the latest information from all slopes including IMD’s official broadcast right here, on this page.
Latest Trek Updates: 14-05-2018 : 18:37:00
Rupin Pass – Bad Weather doesn’t deter trekkers to complete the trek.
The first group of trekkers for this trek reached down to Sangla today. The weather through out was snowy, windy and rainy. In fact, they trekked under snowfall on the pass crossing day as well. However, once they crossed the pass, they experienced warmer climate. At Rontigad trekkers even had a surprise snowfall under bright sunshine.
The latest photo of Rupin pass covered in a carpet of snow. Picture by: Sonakshi Lele
The Lower Waterfall campsite from the Rupin Pass trek.
Roopkund – None of the batches so far have been able to reach the Roopkund lake this season.
Bad weather coupled with incessant snowfall has stopped trekkers in their paths. There was some hope yesterday as the skies cleared, but since today morning it has again become cloudy. Rainfall is expected in the next 24-48 hours.
Trek Leader Venkat called us from Bhagwabasa, the highest campsite on this trek and informed that there has been massive snowfall since yesterday. Our technical team of guides will try to open up the route as soon as it is safe to do so. We expect the weather to clear out in another 2 days.
Meanwhile, we received this photo from a trekker who had to return back from Kalu Vinayak temple, further ahead from Pathar Nachauni campsite. The campsite is the last point till where our trekkers could reach in the present weather conditions
The Pathar Nachauni campsite under dense black clouds. Picture By: Shramona Poddar
Kedartal Trek – Still no permissions from the Forest Department due to bad weather
The forest department has still not opened up this trek citing bad weather conditions and avalanche prone areas. All trekkers from our 19th May group have been informed of this decision. Trekkers can choose any of the other Indiahikes treks.
Gaumukh Tapovan – Green signal to run the trek
The trek has been re-opened after it was closed for few days in the last week, again due to bad weather. All groups will proceed with the trek until further notice from the Forest Department.
All other treks (Har Ki Dun, Kedarkantha, Deoriatal Chandrashila, and Dayara Bugyal) are running properly with no bad weather conditions. Keep checking this thread as we bring you latest, on-slope information.