We have good news coming from Uttarakhand. The forest department has granted permission for trekkers to go on the Har Ki Dun trek in winter!
For the past two years, trekkers have been kept from going on the Har Ki Dun trek in winter. The Uttarakhand Forest Department had closed off the region to trekking for the months of December, January and February.
Meanwhile, we received a lot of calls and messages from trekkers asking if they could experience the Har Ki Dun valley in its winter glory. And now you can!
Har Ki Dun is one of the most beautiful valleys in Uttarakhand. Known to be one of the treks where you can experience the Uttarakhandi culture first hand, this trek has its roots in Hindu mythology: it is believed that this is the route the Pandavas took when they ascended to heaven. Guarded by the gigantic peaks of Har Ki Dun and Swargarohini, this trek is truly heavenly, especially in the winter snow.
We have opened just one date: From December 23rd to 30th.
It’s not likely to stay open for long. So if you have had this trek on your mind, sign up quickly!
Click here to learn more about the trek.
We’ll sign off with some wonderful photos our trekkers have sent us. You’ll see the Har Ki Dun valley covered in snow like this from December, all the way till the beginning of April.
What should you do now?
1. If you’d like to know about the Har Ki Dun trek and its itinerary, head over to this page.
2. You can read a Trek Leader’s account of having done Har Ki Dun in both winters and autumn over here.
3. See a Photo Story of Har Ki Dun in winter here.
4. If you would like to see the 13 Best Himalayan Treks in India, get your PDF here.
5. If you landed up here by chance and were actually looking for treks to do, head over to our upcoming treks page.