We understand the pain when you have to call off a trek or a trek gets cancelled. As trekkers, we always look forward to treks, and after months of training and planning, if you have to cancel your trek or a trek gets called off, there’s no greater disappointment than that. That is why we have a trekker-friendly cancellation policy.
This policy is effective May 8th, 2022.
Indiahikes Standard Cancellation Policy when you cancel a trek:
1. Cancellation 30 days before the start date of the trek — Get a cash refund with 10% cancellation charges.
2. Cancellation between 29 days and 15 days before the start date of the trek — Get a cash refund with 30% cancellation charges.
3. Cancellation between 14 days and 1 day before the start date of the trek — Get a cash refund with 50% cancellation charges.
4. Cancellation on the start day of the trek, or no show on the start day of the trek — Unfortunately, no refund or voucher.
5. If you used a voucher to book for the trek or offloading, the same cancellation percentage will be applicable and the remaining voucher will be credited back to your account.
In the rare event that Indiahikes calls off/cancels a trek:
We almost never call off/cancel our treks. But in the rare event that we call off/cancel a trek because of force majeure, OR natural calamities (continuous rain or snow, snowstorms, thunderstorms, floods, landslides, earthquakes or any other natural calamity that prevents us from conducting a trek safely), OR unexpected situations like political unrest, curfews, local riots, pandemics, lockdowns, government orders OR any other issues that affect the safety of the whole group, Indiahikes will issue a voucher for the full amount of your trek fee (minus the trek insurance). You can redeem the Trek Voucher on any of our treks over the next one year.
Important Note 1: If your entire group is forced to abandon the trek after you have reached/crossed the first campsite of any trek (could be due to weather/sudden unforeseen circumstances), we will not issue a voucher. You’re welcome to repeat the trek through our Trek Again Philosophy.
Important Note 2: We do not issue vouchers to those who you come down from a trek. This can happen when your trek leader sends you down due to any of these reasons: lack of fitness, non maintenance of turn-around-time, altitude sickness, blood pressure, or any other health issues OR if you’re found drinking/smoking or breaking rules of the trek OR if you quit the trek on your own due to personal reasons. Vouchers are given only when the whole team’s trek is cancelled/called off by Indiahikes.
In the rare event that we shift a trek:
There are situations that are beyond our control — excessive snow/rain, thunderstorms, floods, landslides, earthquakes OR unexpected political unrest, curfews, local riots, pandemics, changes in permission rules of the government or government orders, or any such reason where a trek cannot run.
Then in such circumstances Indiahikes will always try to give you an alternate trek. This may involve shifting you to another trek where the situation is more favourable. In such situations, we will issue a voucher for the difference in the amount of your trek fee (if applicable).
You can redeem the Trek Voucher on any of our treks over the next one year. A refund for the trek fee or the difference is not applicable.
If your trek is cancelled by us or by you because of lack of fitness:
We accept trekkers' registrations trusting their commitment to get fit for the trek. We share these fitness requirements well in advance. Yet, there are times when trekkers do not attain the fitness required for the trek. Going on a trek with inadequate fitness not only harms them, but harms the rest of the team as well. They slow down the whole team, are at greater risk of altitude sickness, and also require more resources (guides) along with them, when we're dealing with minimal resources.
If you cannot meet the fitness criteria that a certain trek requires, we may be forced to cancel your trek. In many cases, trekkers cancel it themselves. In both cases, our standard cancellation policy as mentioned above applies.
The Indiahikes Trek Again Philosophy (trekkers love this!)
There are some thoughts and ideologies that we hold close to our hearts.
1. As trekkers, there are times when you have to let go of a trek midway. Sometimes you fall ill, or get hit by AMS or at times simply fatigue pulls you down. It can also happen that your Trek Leader sends you down due to a safety or health issue.
Should such a situation occur, we want you to know that we feel as bad as you do. You can always come back another time, repeat the same trek and finish your adventure. For this you do not have to pay Indiahikes any money.
2. On the other hand, there are times when you fall in love with a trek. So much so that you want to do it again, perhaps see it in another season. If you ever desire to do a trek again, please do so. You don’t have to pay Indiahikes any money for repeating this trek. Just inform your Experience Coordinator who will guide you through a special internal process.
Our only request: Just register for your trek in advance – you know how it is with our groups – they get booked in advance.
Important Note: The Indiahikes “Trek Again Philosophy” does not apply to our international treks.
- Cancellation of offloading before the trek — The offloading fee will be refunded to your account with a 4% bank transaction charge.
- Cancellation of offloading after reaching the basecamp — If you choose to cancel your backpack offloading AFTER reaching the base camp, we love that! You will get the offloading fee refunded to your account with a 4% bank transaction charge.
- Cancellation of offloading midway on the trek — We will create a voucher of part of the offloading fee you have paid. This is based on the number of days you choose not to offload. You can use this voucher on any trek in future.
- In case you return halfway from the trek — We will create a trek voucher for part of the offloading fee you have paid. This is based on the number of days you have trekked.
- Cancellation of rental gear 1 day before the start date of the trek — Get a full refund minus 4% transaction charges
- Cancellation of rental gear less than a day before or on the day of the start date of the trek before reaching the basecamp — Get a Crosstrek Coupon for the whole amount. This voucher is applicable to all our future rentals.
- Cancellation of rental gears once you reach the basecamp — You will not get either refund or voucher for this.
- If you come back halfway from the trek because of a medical issue — We will provide you with a Crosstrek Coupon for the days that you have not used the rental gear.
- If the returned gear is damaged — The security deposit will not be returned to you. The extent of damage will be decided by the Slope Manager only.
- If the trekker loses any of the rental gear — The security deposit will not be returned to you.
- Offline rental gear is available only after all online bookings are given to trekkers with pre-orders at the base camp.
How to cancel your trek:
In case, you wish to cancel your trek, follow these steps:
- Login to your Indiahikes Trek Dashboard.
- Find your upcoming trek on your home page.
- Click on “Cancel Trek”
If your trek payment was made using an Indiahikes Voucher, you'll need to write an email to your Experience Coordinator for the cancellation of your trek.
How long does the refund process take?
After you have cancelled your trek, if you have opted for a refund, the refund amount will land in the same account that you have made the payment from. It usually takes 4-5 working days.