Share this story
Volunteer for a Futuristic Himalayan Learning Program
Happening in March 2023
Category Experiential Learning
By Swathi Chatrapathy
Volunteering for an experiential learning program is deeply rewarding. You not only get to trek in some of the most beautiful locations in our country, but you also get to be part of a futuristic learning program.
Such volunteering is rare. We only open these opportunities once or twice a year at Indiahikes.
Today, I am writing to you with one such opportunity.
In March 2023, we will run an intensive experiential learning program with schools. We’ll have over 500 students trekking with us. As a volunteer, you will be part of the facilitation team. Your role is crucial in helping us administer the program.
There are two date ranges for you to apply:
March 17 to 23
March 23 to 29
The video below will give you an idea about what happens on a Himalayan Experiential Learning program.
Volunteering in our experiential learning program can help you advance your career and grow personally.
- Career Development: You develop new skills that are relevant to your career goals. For example, working with children can help build leadership, communication, and organisational skills. These are valued in the workplace.
- Personal Growth: The hands-on nature of our experiential learning programs helps build confidence and resilience. It gives you a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Volunteers say these programs add a lot of meaning to their lives. Many go on to join us as future team members.
- Networking: Volunteering in our program is a great way to meet new people and expand your network. It can lead to new professional opportunities and connections.
That is why at Indiahikes, an experiential learning program is not just transformative for the students it is equally transformative for us, the organisers, too.
Where is the program happening?
This volunteer program spans over a week on three of our trekking slopes — Dayara Bugyal, Kedarkantha, and Deoriatal-Chandrashila. The assignment of your slope is decided based on past trekking experience, age, and work background.
What are we looking for in our volunteers?
It is a challenging volunteer program, so we need to be more choosy about whom we take. We’ll be choosing volunteers based on three factors:
First, you play a significant role in administering the whole program. It requires good people skills, discipline, and leadership ability. We look at your past experiences in such situations.
Second, the entire volunteer experience is a week-long marathon with hardly any time to breathe, eat, or sleep. To conduct it effectively, you must be physically and mentally capable of dealing with these situations. So we examine your current physical fitness program.
Third, you must be good with children. We have students ranging in age from 5 to 17 years old. We ask you a few questions that help us understand if you are good with children.
You must also check the following boxes:
- You are between the age of 25 and 35.
- You have at least 2-3 years of work experience.
- You have done at least one Himalayan trek (mandatory).
If you fit the bill, you’re welcome to apply as a volunteer. Or, if you know someone who is looking for such an opportunity, let them know.
We have a two-step process to select volunteers.
Step 1: Fill out the form below. It is a questionnaire to help us get to know you better.
Step 2: A video interview after you are shortlisted to assess your potential as a volunteer
So let us start with step 1. Please fill out this form if you’d like to apply as a volunteer -
We’ll get back to you within 2 days if you’re shortlisted after filling the form.
Sign up for our much loved Weekly Mailer
We have terrific trekking tips, trek updates and trek talks to look forward to